The Even Start Program consists of free family literacy, English as a second language classes, family engagement, parenting skills, and early childhood education. Families and/or adults may elect to participate in some or all of the programs as long as they meet the qualifications outlined below.
Who is eligible to participate in Even Start?
- Family Literacy Program
- Kenosha, Pleasant Prairie and Somers families who have children ages birth through 5 years old
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Kenosha, Pleasant Prairie and Somers residents (free childcare offered as needed)
What the program includes
- English as a second language education provides parents/guardians and/or adults with basic and advanced English skills.
- Early childhood education provides learning opportunities for children from birth to 5 years of age. Family literacy programs work in the areas of physical development, social-emotional development and cognitive development and emphasize the importance of a childâ€™s success in school.
- Parent education provides parents/guardians with a wide variety of learning topics, including parenting strategies, how to be advocates and role models for their children and strategies to support their childrenâ€™s learning.
- Interactive literacy activities provide a tie to increase and facilitate meaningful parent-child interactions focused primarily on language and literacy development in a high-quality environment where they can learn and play together.
- Home visits provide a means for delivering literacy instruction in a familiar setting and to emphasize that parents/guardians are the childâ€™s first and most important teacher.
- Family engagement activities provide families hands-on educational experiences throughout the community.
- Parent Empowerment Academy provides parents/guardians the opportunity to learn parenting skills, tips and tactics that will help make their child’s educational career a success.
- Help children reach their full potential as learners
- Help parents/guardians become full partners in their childrenâ€™s education
- Provide educational opportunities for parents/guardians and adults in our community
Family Literacy Schedule
Adult English as a Second Language (ESL) Class Schedule
Family Engagement Schedule
|8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Parent Empowerment Academy Schedule
Even Start Program Flier
²ÊºçÆµµÀ Elementary School, 6315 67th St.
Kenosha, WI 53144
- Carmen Delgado, Even Start Program Liaison
- Christine Lynt, Home Visitor and Early Childhood Lead Instructor